Njoro Girls High School in Nakuru County has been closed indefinitely after unrest erupted over the death of a form four student, Brenda Akinyi.
The protests began on Monday, February 2, with parents and local residents gathering outside the school demanding answers regarding Akinyi’s death.
Police officers were deployed and used tear gas to disperse the demonstrators.
Akinyi’s family has accused the school administration of negligence, claiming it contributed to her death.
According to her brother, the student had been unwell for several days, but the family was not informed despite living nearby.
“I was called to the school for work and was told by my sister’s friends that she was sick. I asked who knew the child was unwell; the nurse knew, the deputy knew, and even the matron knew. They said she was being given treatment before they called home. The student was sick for three days, and was not eating, and they only gave her ibuprofen,” her brother said.
Akinyi’s mother added that she was unaware of her daughter’s condition until it became critical. The 18-year-old passed away while receiving treatment at Nakuru Teaching and Referral Hospital.
An autopsy has been scheduled for Tuesday to determine the exact cause of death.
The Nakuru County Director of Education dismissed the negligence claims, stating that school records indicate Akinyi had a history of illness.
This incident comes just days after Matungulu Boys Secondary School was closed indefinitely following a fire that destroyed four dormitories.
The blaze, which erupted around 10:00 PM, injured at least 15 students and left more than 300 learners without their belongings, including beds, bedding, textbooks, and uniforms.
Four suspects have been arrested in connection with the fire after their names emerged during preliminary investigations.
A nearby resident said chaos erupted before the fire, prompting them to alert a local administrator, who then contacted police. However, by the time officers arrived, the dormitories were already engulfed in flames.
