The Federation of Public Transport Sector (FPTS) has suspended the nationwide matatu strike that had been scheduled for Monday, February 2, 2026.
The decision eases immediate fears of widespread disruption across the country’s public transport system and related sectors.
Motorist were instructed not to carry passengers whatsoever. They were to launch a strike instead.
Commuters feels relieve and others who uses Matatu for transport to their work or businesses have a reason to laugh as they will not face the difficulty again.
In a statement released on Sunday, February 1, the federation said the suspension was reached after (read here) structured talks involving representatives of boda boda operators, Public Service Vehicle (PSV) operators, and security officials.
According to FPTS, the parties agreed to halt the planned industrial action to allow room for dialogue and coordinated problem-solving.
The federation stated that continuing engagement offered a more practical path toward resolving the grievances that had pushed operators to call for a strike.
It emphasized that negotiations would now proceed through a broader consultative framework bringing together multiple stakeholders in the road transport ecosystem.
“Following consultations between representatives of Boda Boda Operators, PSV Operators and Security Agencies, it was agreed that the matatu strike scheduled for Monday, February 2, 2026, be suspended to give dialogue a chance,” the notice said.
FPTS added that further discussions will involve representatives of private vehicle owners, freight and truck operators, coach companies, matatu operators, the National Police Service, and the National Transport and Safety Authority (NTSA).
The goal is to reach what the federation described as an amicable and enforceable solution to the security and operational concerns raised by transport players.
The strike threat had triggered serious concern across the country because of its potential ripple effects.
Transport sector groups had indicated that the action would not only involve matatus but also truck drivers, private motorists, and commercial transporters acting in solidarity.
A shutdown of that scale would likely have affected commuting, goods delivery, and business operations nationwide.
The Motorists Association of Kenya (MAK) had earlier confirmed that multiple transport stakeholders were prepared to stop operations if their security concerns were not addressed.
In a statement issued on January 31, the association pointed to repeated incidents of vehicles being burned by mobs and claimed that authorities had failed to respond adequately to earlier warnings and demands.
According to sector representatives, frustration has been building due to a rise in violent roadside incidents targeting vehicles after traffic accidents, particularly those involving pedestrians or boda boda riders.
Several cases have been reported in areas such as Juja, Luanda in Vihiga County, and along the Thika Superhighway, where mobs allegedly attacked and burned vehicles following collisions.
Transport operators estimate that at least nine vehicles, including matatus, buses, trucks, and private cars, have been torched within a single month.
They say the financial losses run into millions of shillings and have left some operators out of business. Beyond property damage, they argue that the attacks place drivers, passengers, and nearby residents at direct risk.
Industry groups have also criticized what they see as weak enforcement and slow investigations, warning that failure to arrest and prosecute suspects encourages repeat incidents.
They argue that mob action is increasingly replacing lawful dispute resolution, undermining confidence in the justice system and road safety enforcement.
The strike had originally been announced by the Matatu Owners Association working alongside PSV operators.
The groups accused the government of failing to protect a sector they describe as one of the country’s largest contributors to daily economic activity and tax revenue.
They noted that operators continue to pay taxes and fuel levies while facing growing exposure to losses from vehicle destruction and insecurity.
With the strike now suspended, attention shifts to the promised negotiations. If the talks produce concrete enforcement and protection measures, tensions may cool. If they stall, the threat of industrial action will return.
The transport sector has made its leverage clear, and authorities now face pressure to deliver measurable security improvements rather than statements alone.
