At least four people have been confirmed dead after a bandit attack in Aroo area of Kainuk, Turkana County, raising fresh concerns over insecurity in the region.
The Saturday incident happened in Kakong village when armed attackers raided the area and targeted local herders.
According to police reports, three herders were shot dead during the raid. The attackers also stole about 500 goats and were preparing to leave with the animals when security teams responded.
Local police reservists working together with regular police officers rushed to the scene after receiving reports of the attack. Their arrival led to a gunfight that forced the attackers to abandon the stolen livestock and escape.
During the exchange, a driver who was traveling along the Lodwar–Kitale road was caught in the middle of the confrontation.
He was driving a saloon car when the shooting broke out and was killed near the scene. Police later found his body together with those of the herders. Authorities said all four victims had been shot at close range.
Security officers moved the bodies to a mortuary while the vehicle was taken to a nearby police station to support ongoing investigations and other procedures. Police say the situation remains tense because the attackers are still at large and there are fears they could attempt another raid.
Additional reports from the same area indicate that two more people had been killed earlier, suggesting that violence has been building up in recent days. In response, security agencies have increased patrols and deployed more personnel to prevent further attacks.
For some time after the incident, the affected road stretch was temporarily difficult to use, with police escorting vehicles to ensure safe passage.
The latest killings highlight the continued banditry problem in parts of the North Rift and northern Kenya. The region is currently under a multi-agency security mission known as Operation Maliza Uhalifu.
The operation targets counties that have frequently experienced bandit attacks, including Turkana, West Pokot, Baringo, Samburu, Marsabit, Meru, Isiolo and Laikipia. Officials say the operation has reduced crime in several hotspots, although isolated attacks still occur.
The government says it is combining security crackdowns with long-term development plans to stabilize affected areas. Authorities argue that enforcement alone is not enough and that investment and social programs are also necessary to reduce violence.
Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen has started a security tour of the Kerio Valley and nearby regions to review progress and push for stronger action.
Speaking in Elgeyo-Marakwet County, he said the government will extend disarmament efforts that have worked in some areas to other high-risk zones such as Turkana, Isiolo and Laikipia.
Murkomen said cooperation between residents and security agencies has already led to the voluntary surrender of more than 1,200 illegal firearms in the Kerio Valley and neighboring Baringo.
He expressed confidence that the same approach can help reduce banditry in other counties if fully enforced and supported by local communities.
