Government pathologists have confirmed that 28-year-old Vincent Ayomo died from a gunshot wound sustained during the Linda Mwananchi rally in Kitengela on Sunday, February 15, 2026. The findings, released following a postmortem examination conducted on Thursday, indicate that the fatal injury was caused by a single bullet that entered through the left eye and exited through the back of the head, leading to catastrophic trauma.
According to the autopsy report, the projectile caused extensive internal damage, resulting in fatal injuries. Pathologists concluded that the gunshot wound was the direct cause of death. The findings align with earlier claims from witnesses who said Ayomo collapsed after being struck during the chaotic dispersal of the rally.
Eyewitness accounts suggest that Ayomo was not actively involved in confrontations at the time he was shot. One witness claimed he was walking when he was hit by what appeared to be a stray bullet. Several witnesses also described heavy rainfall during the rally, which they said added to the confusion as police moved in to disperse the crowd using teargas.
Some witnesses further alleged that after Ayomo fell, his body remained on the ground for some time amid the ongoing operation. They claimed vehicles drove past the scene as police continued efforts to clear the area. These accounts have fueled public anger and intensified calls for accountability.
The death was confirmed on February 16 by Edwin Sifuna, the Nairobi Senator, who had participated in the rally under the Orange Democratic Movement’s Linda Mwananchi faction. Sifuna alleged that police officers deployed to manage the gathering used both teargas and live ammunition. He directly blamed state security agencies for Ayomo’s death and vowed to push for justice on behalf of the family.
Sifuna also claimed that multiple attendees sustained injuries during the police operation. He accused the administration of tolerating excessive force during opposition gatherings and framed the incident as part of a broader pattern of heavy-handed policing.
The rally had drawn several prominent opposition leaders, including Embakasi East MP Babu Owino, Saboti MP Caleb Amisi, Siaya Governor James Orengo, Kisii Senator Richard Onyonka, and Vihiga Senator Godfrey Osotsi, among others. The presence of senior opposition figures has amplified political tensions surrounding the incident.
In response to the fatal shooting, the Independent Policing Oversight Authority (IPOA) announced it had launched a high-priority investigation. IPOA Vice Chairperson Ann Mwangi confirmed that a rapid response team had been dispatched to Kajiado County to gather evidence and record witness statements. She expressed concern over the reported loss of life and injuries during the rally and assured the public that the authority would conduct an independent probe.
The investigation is expected to examine whether police followed proper crowd-control protocols and whether the use of live ammunition, if confirmed, complied with operational guidelines. IPOA’s findings will likely determine whether disciplinary or criminal action is warranted.
As political leaders trade accusations and investigations begin, Ayomo’s death has once again raised serious questions about crowd management, police accountability, and the boundaries of force during public demonstrations. The coming weeks will be critical in establishing the full circumstances surrounding the shooting and whether responsibility will be formally assigned.
